Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Summary Self-Evaluation Blog

The most challenging parts of writing this summary were finding the main ideas in the essay, writing the thesis statement and writing the actual summary. I found these areas to be hard for me because even though I’m a good reader and I can understand for the most part the ideas, in other readings, the author is trying to give us, I had quite some trouble understanding the ideas Tan was trying to her readers. I believe this was because I had never broken down an essay into sections and had to find the main idea in each section. Writing the thesis and the summary itself were also complicated because of my “broken and/or limited English”. I couldn’t find the words to express what I had in mind so I used “simple” words and terms to overcome these challenges to be able to write the summary. Having to follow a certain set of rules made this summary difficult for me so I’m going to have to say that aside from reading the essay everything else was in some ways hard. Honestly, I don’t understand how I got and A- on it, I was actually hoping for a C or a D. For the next summary I’m going to take more time analyzing the reading and thinking about the ideas given by the author and seek help when and/or if I find myself puzzled with the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment